Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mississippi River levee in Louisiana




With all the trees and hills in Vicksburg, it is hard to get a good sunrise picture. That's why the Mississippi River levee in Louisiana south of I-20 is such a special place to me. The borrow pits along the levee are such great photographic sites. I like to go early, at least 30 minutes before sunrise, because the Lord always puts on such a show when he makes the sun start the day. The colors change so quickly that many times I can only stand there and try to breathe in the beauty as fast as I can. These photos were taken in late December on two separate occasions. The top photo is of one of the borrow pits. The middle photo shows a borrow pit in the front and the Mississippi River in the back. It is taken from the point where the levee is closest to the river. The heron was photographed in one of the borrow pits as I was leaving the levee.

I would be remiss if I did not tell you why I like to take so many sunrises. Usually I tell people that I just can't sleep late any longer. The real reason, however, is that viewing a sunrise brings me closer to God than anything else I can imagine. It's hard to describe the feeling I get being still and watching the sun's brightness build and build and build below the horizon until it seems like it can get no brighter. Then in an instant it bursts over the horizon, spilling golden rays everywhere. 

Is your heart burdened? Do you no longer feel close to God? Give me a call. We'll go watch a sunrise. And you will realize that everything is going to be OK — for the God of all Creation has a show ready to present to you each morning to let you know that He is in control. It's exhilarating!

1 comment:

  1. Marty, I don't which is more beautiful and inspiring ... your photos or your message. Both filled my heart with gladness and hope.

    ReplyDelete