Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cedar Hill Cemetery

The best shots in Cedar Hill Cemetery happen before the sun ever comes up, I do believe. These were taken about 20 to 30 minutes before the sun came up. My photo buddy, Robert Walker, and a new friend who wanted to go exploring with us, Ritch Southard, were awestruck with the silhouette that we found at the area in the cemetery where the nuns are buried. They have a statue of Jesus being crucified on the cross there and it is pictured below. We could not believe the beauty of the scene. The little white dot is Jupiter, I believe, still shining bright in the night sky. It was a very humbling sight.Two other statues in the area are a statue of Mary and another of Jesus. Mary is silhouetted against the dusky sky and the Jesus statue is silhouetted right before dawn.


A cross on a gravestone is silhouetted against the early morning sky.

The sun peeks up behind the the statue at Soldiers Rest, where the Confederate soldiers are buried.

These photos were taken in the first hour and the sun had not even shown itself really well. We were so blessed by all we saw. We were in the cemetery for at least another 90 minutes. Wait until you see what else we took! I can't wait to show you!

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing to start my day with these awesome pictures, Marty. The first picture literally took my breath away. Your talent never ceases to amaze and inspire me, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was one awesome morning. When I show people that picture and make them guess where it was taken, they can't believe that such an awe inspiring scene is right here in Vicksburg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are awesome Marty! The first one is unbelievable! You are a great, great photographer. Thanks for sharing your work of art with us...looking forward to seeing more photos at Cedar Hill Cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marty, these are some of my favorite pictures! I love the ones of the crosses. Sheila

    ReplyDelete