Friday, July 10, 2009

The Church on Freetown Road









If you want to pique my interest, just sit near me at a ballgame and talk about visiting a "haunted" church. That got my attention a couple of weeks ago! Apparently, it's a place that teenagers go to for a good scare. Anyway, I got directions to the church and it is pretty much at the end of Freetown Road in Warren County. It's an unusual church in that it seems to be sitting sideways on the property. There is no door facing the road. The two doors that do exist are on the back. One is visible in the top photo and the other is obscured by brush and trees on the other end. All the windows are gone, but pews, the pulpit and piano are still inside. The floors are rotting on about half the building and I had to make sure I walked on the crossbeams to get a couple of these shots. There is a cemetery out back with about a dozen graves, all pretty much placed there in the last few decades. No sign is visible to tell what church it is.

My mama didn't raise a fool, so I can't tell you whether it is haunted or not. I visited in the daytime and have no inclination to go back at night. But the place would suit the purposes just right. And that hum you hear when you get close to the church? No, it's probably not a ghost, but thousands of bees that have a beehive in the wall at the front entrance of the church.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! LOVE this blog! Was just sent here by Angie Bryant via Facebook and I am already reeled in. Wish I had more time to read all the tidbits from each entry. But, I will definitely be back! Awesome pictures!! And love the writing that accompanies each one.

    ReplyDelete