Thursday, December 31, 2009

Save the Sprague

Some of the remains of the Sprague looks like heaps of rusting iron pieces. I am not asking that we save every piece of the grand old boat. But at least the sternwheel, which was pictured on Monday and Tuesday, plus the two smokestacks, which I pictured yesterday, can be cleaned up and moved for display. They are easily identifiable pieces which can be seen in every photo of the steamboat.
You can barely see some of the iron pieces for vines and brush have overtaken them, looking like they are trying to pull them back into the earth.


Here's the crow's nest of the boat. If that thing could only talk! Think how it would look if it was sandblasted, repainted and mounted near the transportation museum or the MV Mississippi exhibit, with that big red sternwheel next to her and the two smokestacks erect. I can see it in my head....and it's great!



Save the Sprague. I am lifting my voice. Will you?


1 comment:

  1. Your eloquent memorial of the past few days would be honor enough, but I DO hope that your plans will come to be.

    I can see it, too, bright in the Spring sun. I hope, I hope.

    Best wishes to you and your family for the bright promises of the New Year!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete