Monday, April 18, 2011

Rambling with Mama











I went to visit my mother in Grenada this past weekend. We went rambling up toward Gore Springs, down to Cadaretta and then around Hwy. 404 to Duck Hill. Later on we went chasing the full moon. We found a huge abandoned home in between Gore Springs and Cadaretta where the first three pictures were taken. I don't know the significance of the wire brush on the jar, but I remember drinking out of cups like those that are still in the cupboard. Pardon me for the self-portrait from a bedroom in the home. The next photos are from the J.D. Chamblee store on Hwy. 404. The Coke sign is neat and even neater when you look at the art deco portions of it up close. The swamp is near downtown Grenada. They gave it a big ol' long Indian name I can't ever remember. That's the Catholic Church at top, then Emmanuel Baptist Church (my home church), and then a Church of God near Mama's house. Me and Mama also visited Fathead's Flea Market. I didn't get to meet Fathead. Hey, you can click on the photos to enlarge them if you want. The night pictures were all handheld, too, so they may be a little blurry.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED all of these, Marty---especially the dusty old Tupperware? glasses.

    And I especially love that you still call your Mama "Mama," like my grown children (who are probably all older than you) still do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember some type of barbeque sauce that came with the brush attached like that. I was pretty young at the time, so I am roughly guessing in the late 50s?

    ReplyDelete