Friday, November 20, 2009

I miss the Queens

I miss the Queens. I miss watching the American Queen lower her stacks to be able to fit her massive frame underneath the Mississippi River bridges. I miss the calliope music that drifted down the river as the Mississippi Queen left City Front on her way to Natchez or Greenville. I miss the friendly waves from passengers aboard the Delta Queen as she readied to leave City Front to continue on her adventure. I always wanted to go with them for I knew that riding on one of those majestic boats was going to be the ride of a lifetime. I miss the paddlewheels as they fought the current or rode one to even faster speeds. I miss the Queens.






3 comments:

  1. Marty, I miss them, too. The last time they docked in Vicksburg, was on November 3, 2008, which was my birthday, and I spent an exciting couple of hours running up and down the water front taking pictures of them and watching the passengers going to and from.

    Your pictures captured them forever in all their glory, and your beautiful tribute to them touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is touched, as well, from just the IDEA of them, of another time and sounds of passage and the bright paintwork of the proud belles.

    I've seen them only a few times, now and then, but a wonderful restaurant here has immense murals running round the walls, beautifully painted, of the Natchez and the Robert E. Lee in their famous race, with all the figures waiting and waving and anticipating, way down the river.

    Are these pictures from an earlier time? You've captured them for always, and your archives will tell the tale, long after the last whistle, the last cheerful light goes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly enjoy looking at your art. Thanx for sharing and inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete