Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Freeland Cemetery


A visit to Windsor Ruins in Claiborne County is not complete without a visit to the historic Freeland family cemetery, which lies in the woods not far from the majestic homestead. The ancestors of Tom Freeland, a fellow blogger and lawyer in Oxford, Mississippi, reside here. Visit his wonderful blog at http://nmisscommentor.

It is a beautiful old cemetery, sitting up on an Indian mound surrounded by a brick fence covered in green lichen. The last photo with the moss-covered brick is my favorite, just for the vividness of the green. The builder of Windsor is buried here.

1 comment:

  1. How Peaceful!! And it all feels DAMP, somehow, like the remains of all the snow and rain cling to the leaves brick and nourish the moss. I can feel the humid air and smell the turning of the leaves into earth once again.

    And I WANT that brick!!! I could just get lost in the emerald of those million wisps.

    (I cannot get into the link you have listed, thought I have used the one in your bloglist on the sidebar).

    ReplyDelete